I am not a huge follower of pop culture, in fact I try to avoid it most of the time! But..... I have to say a big part of my childhood came flooding back this evening. A local radio station was playing a tribute to Michael Jackson tonight, we were on our way to dinner and my husband and I were rocking out to all the King of Pop songs! Its funny how we recalled all the words to EVERY song and were belting them out! The kids were horrified. They were thanking their lucky starts they had no friends in the car. They were also a little confused as I always would say he is weird and that I didn't like what he had become. In between songs we tried to explain to them who he was to us at their age. The hours we spent laying on the bed with friends listening to BAD over and over again. We both had the black and white get up with the glove poster and my husband had the yellow 'outfit' with the curl, remember that one???!
Anyway they just didn't understand.... Those are good memories before he got all weird. I can't imagine another band or person to come along again and have the impact on so many people like he did. Music is so diverse now days, with so much to choose from.
My husband and his family are from southern California. Paul's cousin has cerebral palsy, and was having her birthday party at a local park. Part way through the party the parents noticed that Michael Jackson was at the park and watching them. He kept moving closer and closer to the party and finally approached Paul's Aunt and Uncle. He asked them if they wanted to move their party to his Neverland Ranch. They agreed and he opened up his home to them, he had his chef bring out a cake with her name on it, he had pizza, an ice cream bar, the petting zoo all open for them. It was a nice gesture and something to always remember.

















5 comments:
nice of you to add the personal story...he was way too young to die. He has definitely had some good in his life, it is just sad to see people get caught up in being famous...
I had the biggest crush on him back in the 80's before like you said "he got weird". He was an icon and always will be. I don't know how to feel about the allegations because they were never proven. I was more angry at the parents for leaving their kids with him overnight especially after all the rumors. I think he might have just been a lost soul who went about having a self destructive behavior. May he rest in peace and it's not for us to judge him now....its in God's hands.
That is nice what he did for Paul's family....
I was shocked when I heard the news and had to look it up myself because it seemed unbelievable(no cable at our house). He was one of my favorite singers growing up too! In fact, I still have the Thriller album...yes record. Over the years he really did become quite strange, but I grew up loving his music and will remember him for that. What a nice gesture of kindness he showed Paul's family...so glad you shared that story:)
Crazy story. We use to watch for the Thriller dance every New Years. VH1 would do a countdown of best music videos of all time and Thriller was always number one. Not sure about him personally but you couldn't grow up in our era without knowing all his songs.
He was the best and will remain the best. May hisd soul rest in peace.
Post a Comment