
The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio, How My Mother Raised 10 Children on 25 Words or Less.
By Terry Ryan
I LOVE to read, but never can find the time anymore. A book club is starting at church and I am a little excited to see what books they are going to be reading. I hesitate to even start reading something because once I start I hate to put it down, I am usually hooked and get wrapped up in the story. Heaven forbid I start a series, don't bother calling me for days.
A few years ago I figured I better read the first Harry Potter book just so I could see what all the hoopla was about. Throw in there I was also trying to be a responsible parent and review what my children were reading. I picked it up on a Monday morning, the next Friday night (11 days later) I put the 7th book down and attempted to wade through what used to be my living room. My children were grown, my husband had a beard, and the oldest had braces... After 11 days of fast food they demanded a hot meal and that I take a shower :) So needless to say I was banned from any series of books while the children were little.
The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 kids on 25 Words or Less:
I can't remember where I found this book, I do know that the title was really intriguing. It wasn't a very long read but I REALLY enjoyed it. I have re-read it a few times since and passed it along to my neighbor and Grandmother.
This story is about a Mother during the 50's and 60's married to a man with violent tendencies and a severe drinking problem, the Mother managed to keep her 10 children fed and housed by entering--and winning--contests for rhymed jingles and advertising slogans of 25-words-or-less. Sometimes she even hit the jackpot, as when a Beech Nut jingle contest netted a Triumph TR3 sports car, a jukebox, a trip to New York and an appearance on the Merv Griffin show. But the Ryans' means were so limited that even a $25 prize was reason to celebrate.
My Mother is from a family of 15 children and this book made me think about what it must have been like for my Grandmother to raise her children. They struggled financially and she did a lot of it alone without the help from my Grandpa. Although he was not violent or an alcoholic, it was difficult to support such a large family.
I absolutely recommend this book and in fact, my giveaway this week is a copy! So leave a comment and make a suggestion for our book club or tell me what your favorite book is. Don't forget to leave your name and a way to get ahold of you!
















34 comments:
I enjoyed the movie made from the book and would love to read the book!
My favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice."
One of my favorite books is "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. Soooooo good! There is also a four hour movie version of the book that is really fun to watch (I check it out at our local library).
This book sounds awesome. Thanks for the giveaway! (By the way, I made the Oreo and Nutter Butter Truffles last weekend and they were a hit, especially the oreo truffles. Thanks for the recipe!)
snbjork@yahoo.com
We're reading this for our book group (although one of the older ladies swears that it was written by Suze Orman - who wrote the foreword). I'm looking forward to it!
that does sound interesting. i am a mom to 8 and always love to read about larger then average families.
favorite book??? that is hard I read all the time. but its usually fast reads. I just got done with Eden Hall series. (4 books) btw who is the author?
Sorry about not leaving the author!! it is Terry Ryan.
Count me in for this one! I've been looking for a new book. My favorite book is Pride & Prejudice, but I'm sure you've read that one!
Always looking for a good read!...I am the same way with the series though. Ryan rolls his eyes whenever he sees me starting a new book! Thanks for all the coupon tips..Ryan just might kiss you the next time he sees you (for all the $$$ you are helping us save!)
this sounds just terrific i really do not have a favorite book thanks for the giveaway
Well, I love books, so I read a lot, and we homeschool using a very book intensive program, so asking me my favorite book is hard! I love so many! The Westing Game is a recent book I read for my sons schooling that I loved, I also really enjoyed The Scarlett Letter, and the Witch of Blackbird Pond. Then there is Mara, Daughter of the Nile. I guess that is more than one, but who can pick just one LOL!
I talk too much so I really NEED this book!!
Reading/learning is my passion, to name just one book is painful, but I would have to go with "The Hiding Place" by Corie Ten Boom. It changed my life.
I have't read this yet. Thanks for the chance.
My favorite book is Prayers for Sale.
Thanks!
1bmore @ gmail . com
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book, and I would jump for joy to have my own copy. Another great book club suggestion is Molokai. It's about a girl who gets leporosy. So good.
Prize Winner was a great movie. I would love to read the book.
My newest favorite book is The Choice by Nicholas Sparks (or almost anything by him. The Notebook was my favorite book for a while and the movie must keep Kleenex in business!)
I really loved She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I couldn't believe it was written by a man...that he could be inside a woman's head so well. I had to keep checking the back cover to look at him and make sure! Thanks for the chance!
I'm so excited about our book club!
The book I just finished was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I read it a few days ago but I'm still thinking about the characters and wondering about their lives. To me, that's a good book :)
My favorite book of all time is probably Catcher in the Rye, but my favorite recent book is Eat, Pray, Love. It inspired me to take an Italian class this summer! :-)
I LOVED this movie and as experience has shown me, the books are usually better.
The book I recommend is One Perfect Christmas.
ldsmom2201 at yahoo dot com
http://juanshappywife.blogspot.com
http://homeschoolunitstudies.blogspot.com
I suggest your book club reads Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult. It's about a family that files a wrongful birth lawsuit--a great controversial topic for discussion!
Chrissy at knittoday(at)hotmail(dot)com
My all-time favorite book would have to be The Ladies of Missalonghi by Colleen McCullough. I pull it out whenever I'm feeling down.
my fave is to kill a mockingbird
pksanddancer@yahoo.com
I've just finished The Devil to Play by Jasper Rees, about a journalist whose midlife crisis is to re-learn how to play the French Horn, which he stopped playing after high school. Very interesting and funny...
emvark at gmail dot com
The movie was good, and the book si always better than to the movie, I would love to read it thanks.
I would recommend Cheaper By the Dozen if you enjoyed this one!
ajcmeyer AT go DOT com
this book looks amazing-i agree with the paws book someone else mentioned- it was amazing. I have not read anything in the past few months that hits as outstanding- now I have read a bunch that have sucked but will not go there
Looks like a good book. I'd recomend War and Peace.
Don't watch movies, the book is always better.
Looks like an interesting and encouraging book. I would also suggest any book by Beth Moore.
Tracy
4heartbeats@gmail.com
I couldn`t pick just one book. I will say I did like the Harry Potter series though and I`m also an addicted reader. Once I start a book I stay up late to finish it.
I have wanted to read this book! I just finished Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson and thought it was a quick good read, and different from his usual.
Love to have this. I would definately suggest Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. Its hilarious!
Thanks,
darkfyre1(at)gmail(dot)com
This looks like a great book. I hope I get the chance to read it. Thanks for the giveaway!
My favorite book is Sarah's Key.
Thanks for the giveaway!
This sounds like a great book! One suggestion for a book club selection would be Can't Wait to Get To Heaven by Fannie Flagg. Another suggestion would be The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.
I just read "The Gilded Chamber" by Rebecca Kohn. It was great!
Post a Comment